The name rang a bell , but I couldn't remember straight away.
Later in Soho I remembered I read about her in a forum for mums.
Edith Cavell was born in Norfolk , England on the 4th December 1865. She was trained as a nurse at the London Hospital, and then recruited to be a matron in Brussels. In 1910 she published a professional journal : L'infirmiére.
When the first world war started, she went back to Brussels from England, to find the Red Cross in her clinic.
Cavell started to help soldiers from both sides, french, british, germans. She helped them cross the borders or hide them even at her house. All this because she thought lives were way more precious.
But sadly Cavell was betrayed, and held in prison for 10 weeks. Even with the international pressure to save her life, nothing could be done and she was finally executed on the 12th October 1915.
Her execution, and burial were witnessed by a poet: Gottofried Benn. Her statue in London reads:
"Patriotism is not enough. I must have not hatred or bitterness for anyone".
![]() |
| Image from : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/EdithCavellmemorial.jpg |


0 comentarios: